Why not use Blossom Sugar Art Cookie Cutters to create sugar-craft decorations on a larger scale.
Create this stunning butterfly – a perfect centre piece for any cake.
- Roll out a sheet of modelling icing (recipe at the bottom of the page) very thin and cut out the butterflies using our cookie cutters.
- To get a better finish with the thin icing, place the cookie cutter on its back with the cutting edge facing up. Lay the icing sheet on top and gently roll your rolling pin over the icing on top of the cutter. This will create sharp clean edges.
- Dry the butterflies on a piece of cardboard until they are ready to be decorated
- Dust with edible dusts and paint on details with black food colouring. You are now ready to position your butterflies to complete your cake.
This simple technique will be sure to amaze your guests.
- Mix one cup of royal icing with 2 tsp of Gum Tragacanth or 1 tsp of Tylose
- Mix in 1 tsp solid white vegetable fat and knead.
- You will need to add icing sugar or powdered sugar as you are kneading until the icing is not sticky.
- Knead well until elastic and pliable.
- Divide into small balls and wrap in plastic.
- This recipe is suitable for freezing.
- Royal Icing is readily available as a dry mix in the supermarket